Sunday, January 11, 2009

1 week

Solomon will be one week old in about 11 hours. I can't believe he's been here a week already. I can't believe a week ago I was trying to figure out if my water broke or if it was a leak that would heal itself or what. I look at this beautiful little boy and can't believe I made him, or rather that God made him inside of me. It's just unbelievable. Every child is such a miracle. This week has been great. DH took Monday off from work, we spent the day sleeping while the kids were at his mom's house, then we just enjoyed the newest member of our family. On Tues my step-mom came down so DH could go back to work. She was very helpful on Tues and Wed with the kids, the house and food. She also left a few things to reheat in the fridge. Thur we went up the health department for Solomon's PKU test, which they say we need for a birth certificate. We probably could get around it, but it's just a heel prick, so we went ahead and did it. My step-mom was still here so we left the kids with her. Then she cooked lunch and headed home. We enjoyed the rest of the day Thur and all day Fri just lounging around the house. It turned out that even going to the health department was too much for me that early, so I needed the good down time. DH decided to call in Sat because I needed more down time still and there was no one to help with the kids. Today was supposed to be my first day alone with the kids, but my SIL picked them up about 11am and MIL came over and cleaned the house. Genesis was returned to me a few hours later, but the boys spent the day over there. In fact, they're still there with DH. So it's been just me, Genesis and Solomon since about 2pm I think.

I've never conscously taken time off after a baby was born. I never said "I'm going to do nothing for 2 weeks." But I'm so glad I did this time. I can really feel a difference. Don't me wrong, I wasn't one to sweep the floor hours after giving birth, but I fairly quickly was back to my normal stuff. This time, I only get up to go potty if at all possible. DH is being great. He's not a very good housekeeper, but he tries and of course he doesn't mind that I'm not doing anything. He had agreed with me that I get 2 weeks "vacation" after baby is born, then 4 weeks of "light duty" where he'll still help me out. We decided my overall long term health is the most important. We want me to be able to keep having babies, so we need to keep my baby making parts healthy. I've been trying to figure out how to slowly add more in, what to add first, etc. This coming week I'll have to feed the kids, but it's going to be all pb&j, hotdogs in the microwave or leftovers. I also have to put them to bed, but other than that, nothing. The next week I'm thinking I'll work on a daily shower (a must for me, really) and doing some light cooking with the freezer meals I made up that DH hasn't used. Then I'll add laundry and more cooking, followed by dishes (we're using paper right now), counters, tables, sweeping floors etc. The last week of "light duty" I'll add in daily bathroom maintence. This is of course all subject to how well my body reacts to the added duties. I'm hoping by taking it slow though that I'll be able to add things in and by the end of 6wks be able to do most of the work around the house. We'll start school again in March. March seems so far away, but I know it'll be here before I know it. I also get to figure out how to add this all in while nursing a newborn.

It seems like forever since I've had a newborn. This is the longest time inbetween babies, but only by 2 weeks. I think the big difference is how much more mature Genesis is then the boys were at her age. She talks, a lot, in pretty much complete sentances, she's potty trained, dresses herself, takes directions well, and overall is just a big help. The boys were just starting to do all those things when the next baby was born.

Anyways, that's enough babbling. We're all just doing great and everybody loves the new baby.

No comments: