Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My menu

I'm so proud of myself. Two days before grocery shopping day and I've already got my menu made out, grocery list done and everythign printed out. Maybe you all can help me out with something. I used to always plan 5 meals a week, with an assumed pizza day on the weekend. The other day of the weekend we eat leftovers. I was constantly only cooking 4 days a week, plus pizza. I always had one meal a week that just wasn't getting cooked. This frustrates me to no end. I swear I had spaghetti on the menu for two months before we finally had it. So when I had to cut down the food budget two months ago, I started only planning 4 meals, plus pizza and leftovers. Every week I was having to scrounge around the last day and find something to cook for dinner! So after a month of that I went back to 5 meals for my last shopping trip. Wouldn't you know it, we've skipped a meal both this week and last. ???? Anybody know why that is? Ooh, here's an idea...maybe I'll start planning 5 meals one week and 4 the other. That might work. Anyways, here's my menu for the next two week, starting Sunday.

Sunday: Santa Fe chicken w/rice
MOnday: Taco lentils w/beans
Tuesday: Black bean lasagna
Wendnesday: Macaroni and cheese w/hamburger&veggies
Thursday: Tomato and Spinach pasta toss

Sunday:Spaghetti w/salad and garlic breadsticks
Monday: Creamy spinach ravioli
Tuesday: Taco lentils
Wednesday: Chicken Fajita skillet
Thursday: Shepherd's pie

A few notes: The two spinach meals are something we haven't tried before. I got the new Kraft magazine last week and DH went through and picked those two out as things to try. The creamy spinach ravioli is made from lots of prepacked, preservative filled things. Not my top pick, but hey if it makes DH happy. Chicken fajita skillet is DH's all-time favorite meal. It's not mine though and it has lots of Velveeta cheese in it, so it only makes the menu every other week. If it were completely up to dh, it'd be on there weekly along with taco lentils, but he understands that's not exactly cost effective!

The breadsticks to go with the spaghetti, I got the recipe from hillbillyhousewife.com and they are awesome. I made them about a week and a half ago, to go with spaghetti, but I never made the spaghetti, b/c everybody filled up on breadsticks! DH requested that I make them to go with the spinach quiche we had last week and I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see them on the menu. They are super good!

Let me know if you want any recipes!

1 comment:

Natural Mama said...

Megan,
Your menu looks scrumptious! I put mine up tonight--we are both feeling the 'Mexican' vibes! :)

Gonna get the books out to you this weekend, Lord Willing!

PS. How far are you from Louisville? We are coming there next Feb, Lord willing. Dh goes to a prophecy conference up there and I plan to come with him next yr. You can Email me if you don't want to disclose the info on your blog.