Thursday, July 12, 2007

Body Piercings

At this time, I only my ears are pierced, although one ear has a second hole. I used to have my eyebrow pierced but took my ring out when my oldest was born by c-section, it got lost while changing rooms and I just never replaced it. Many times over the years I have considered replacing it, but always decided not to b/c "responsible Christian mothers don't have their eyebrows pierced." Through this whole mess with DH I've thought a lot about how I tried to make him fit into the "responsible Christian father" mold I had in my head which lead me to thinking about how I've fitted myself into a similiar mold. I've always been a bit of a rebel, so I sometimes feel like I'm not being myself when I so easily fit into the mold in my head. I WANT my eyebrow pierced again. And I know DH would love it, too. So what's stopping me you ask? Even though I no longer feel like I need to fit the mold in order to be a responsible Christian mother, I still feel like I should conform, for others' sakes. The Bible talks about not being a stumbling block to others and their faith, and I know if I have a mold in my head then so do other people. Sure my eyebrow ring could be used as a witnessing tool, but wouldn't it turn some people away? Are the ones I'd help worth the ones I'd hurt? Me, as myself, doesn't really care what other people think, but me as a Christian knows that what other's think is really a very important thing to think about, as long as it's not in a vain way. I also worry that people will think I"m a hippy. Cloth diapering, baby-wearing, skirt wearing, long-haired Momma could be a conservative Christian or hippy, add an eyebrow ring and I'll probably be thrown into the hippy pile. Can I really be an effective witness to Christ that way? I don't know, I"m still waiting for an answer on this one.

To be continued with thoughts about tattoos, probably sometime tomorrow as Grey's Anatomy is getting ready to start :)

No comments: