Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My Husband and His Pack-rat Tendencies

I was recently given an almost brand new, nice set of kitchen knives. It includes 6 steak knives, a parer, Utility, slicer, break, butcher and some name I can't remember and am too lazy to go look up. Anyways, these are nice knives, all in a pretty block and everything. I previously owned *2* incomplete knife sets, that were really a miss match of ones lost and replaced over the years. I was about to just toss the other 2 sets, but vaguely recalled there was a reason we kept one set around, even though I hated them, but thought maybe it was just b/c DH hated the other set. So I mentioned it to DH and he informed me that the one set I hate used to be his dad's (though I think there's probably only one or two left that actually belonged to his dad) so I had to keep those. So I asked if I could get rid of the other set, to which he replied "no, keep them too. You can get rid of them here." Um...so I have to move them just so we can get rid of them there? I dont' think so. This is not the first time we've had this conversation. Whenever he hears I'm donating things just to get them out of the house he tells me to keep them and then we can have a garage sale when I get there. I am NOT moving boxes upon boxes 500 miles just to sell them in a garage sale!

Then last night we were talking about all the outside toys we have and I mentioned that I'm getting rid of a lot of them. They're not taken care of, the kids don't play with them and they make the outside look trashy since I don't have any place to properly store them. Included in my list was the tool bench, which is broken and my 4yo calls it his "other kitchen" b/c it has a sink (where are the roll eyes emots when you need them?), a couple of the trucks that are out there, DH's favorite big chair that is literally falling apart (which he finally said I could get rid of it), and one of the sandboxes. Yes, I said one of the sand boxes, we own two, a turtle one and a ladybug. I was debating on which one to keep, the bigger one or the one in better condition. So DH insisted I keep both. Sigh. He then informed me that I'm lucky he's not here b/c there is no way he'd let me get rid of so much stuff. He probably won't even notice everything I've gotten rid of when we move. Afterall, he never noticed when I went through and put junk in boxes, never to be seen again. (disclaimer: I always ask DH if I think he'll have a real objection to me getting rid of something, which is why I even brought that I was getting rid of outside toys)

1 comment:

Jason h said...

Hey! i'm going to cali this sunday.. gonna be there for a week, this is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash. later!