Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Anybody know how to fix a dryer?

Yesterday morning I went to get a load of laundry out of the dryer to discover it was still pretty damp. Odd, I thought, but it was a load of jeans so I figured it just didn't run long enough, that happens sometimes, so I started the dryer again and walked away. Fast forward about an hour to the dryer buzzing, I open it, while it's still running. Usually in this situation, the dryer stops and I see clothes falling down. Not this time. The dryer stopped alright, but no clothes fell down, b/c they weren't spinning! Great. Now DH and I know very little about dryers, but we know enough to know this is probably a belt issue. The dryer is 6 years old after all. It's about time for this kind of thing. So we spent an hour googling how to fix a dryer belt and nobody told us how to take the thing apart in the first place! It was all about routing the belt, but nothing on how to get to it in the first place. We have a handy neighbor across the street, but he wasn't home, of course. We finally just took the top off the dryer, the only thing we could figure how to get off, which was enough to verify that it was a broken belt. So we put the top back on and called and ordered a belt, praying that our handy neighbor would be willing to help us put the belt when it gets in. As our luck runs, the company is switching facilities right now, so it'll be 2-3 wks before it gets here. Oh, I could have gotten it here in one week instead, but it would have cost me more in shipping than I was paying for the belt! Besides, if I can make it work without a dryer for a week, surely I can do it for 2 or 3, is my thinking. So tomorrow DH is supposed to be rigging up a temporary clothes line for me. Good thing I already have lots of clothespins from hanging clothes all last summer!

No comments: