Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Going Green(er)

We're actually already pretty "green." Cloth diaper, no paper products except toilet paper, etc. Of course now my dryer is out of commission so I'm hanging my laundry. Which, btw, I hung all our laundry out to dry last summer and absolutly loved it, but we haven't had a clothesline here so I havne't been able to. Even the line we have up now is not great. It doesn't quite hold one big load of laundry, and it's stretched all the way across the middle of our yard, which isn't really convenient for kids playing. But it's still been nice to hang my laundry out. Which is probably why even though the new dryer belt is sitting on my counter I haven't nagged DH to help me get it on yet. Maybe this weekend, maybe next...

And our newest big step, was to buy some reusable bags from here. We actually got them through a co-op so we got a great price on them. The biggest reason I haven't done this before is simply cost. Good reusable bags are not cheap. But this deal came up and we had a few extra dollars and there's been talk lately around here about stores starting to charge for bags, so it seemed like the right time. We only got 6, but I think we'll need some more. The website says 6 bags will fit a whole cart, but I'm thinking my cart is fuller than theirs. No matter though, there were extras in the co-op so if we need some more, I can still get them cheap. I also haven't done it before now b/c quite frankly, we use our grocery bags! I don't buy trash bags, just use Walmart bags and take the trash out every day. It cuts down on the smell from trash sitting too long and being in the routine of taking it out every day means they rarely overflow. I'm a little concerned about this, but not too much. For one, we have a good size stock-pile of bags. Even though we actually get at the store about what we use, family hears that we use them for trashbags and give us all their surplus. Or at least they did, until I finally started saying no thanks and recommending they drop them off at the recycle box in WM. But we still have a lot. And should we eventually run out, I'll just go without. I already empty the trash everyday, so instead of taking a bag out, I'll jsut take the whole small can and dump it. Then rinse the can out. Who doesn't need to wash their trash can more often anyways? So that's my plan.

1 comment:

Natural Mama said...

That's a great plan. I have more than what is needed in my bag stockpile--I always forget to take the bags to the recycle box at WM!

I have not cloth diapered at ALL with Evan and feel terrible for it. Maybe I can get in the groove with the next child. I need a new stockpile of diapers--that is my main holdup.